Hello Charlotte and Conversations, Lectures and Invitations

I don't understand why I love Hello Charlotte. Not in traditional terms, anyways. 

Most of my favorite stories have elements that I can easily understand as to why I fell in love with those stories in the first place. Evangelion and loneliness, Fata Morgana and empathy, Subahibi and subjective reality, Omori and forgiveness. With Hello Charlotte, it's not that easy for me anymore, and I don't really understand why. And I don't really understand why I don't understand. It's not especially subtle with it's themes, I feel like I understand what etherane was trying to say, and what feelings she was trying to impart onto me. I feel like I mostly understand the narrative, in a way that left me satisfied. In every respect, I should feel satisfied moving on from this work. I can't though. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Why am I so fixated on this story?

I've been thinking, and I think it's because it's more than the sum of it's parts. I can't really think of any other reason. And I think the reason why I'm so confused on this game is that, in general writing terms, I don't really think it's that good. To say the narrative is loose would be an understatement - it feels less like a progression and more like a tangled ball of yarn, going in and out of various plot threads like trying to untie a knot. The characters are not especially affecting to me, nor was the ending, or the music, or art. And yet, when I think back on the time I spent with this series, an indescribable feeling bubbles up within me, a feeling I feel so rarely that it justifies me writing this more-of-a-rant-than-review thing. 

Hello Charlotte is honest.

This story knows what it is. It knows that it's "narrative" is convoluted and messy and not really thought out, like, at all. It knows the characters are mostly run-of-the-mill Tumblr-esque RPG Maker fanfare. It knows the music can be grating, and the gameplay boring and frustrating, and that it kinda seems like it thinks it's smarter than it actually is. And it all ties back to what a story is. Should a story need to be enjoyable to be good? Should a story need to be tightly written to be considered worth the time investment? It's typical critique ideations like these that I come back to time and time again. I've tried and tried to unspin this tangled yarn of what a good story is. I still don't know - no one does really - but for me, I think the conclusion that I feel is right is that a story is different for every story. Some stories are lectures. Other stories are invitations. Every author and the stories they create interact differently with the audience, and I think that, above all, Hello Charlotte is a conversation. 

Of course, the individual is going to interact with these stories in different ways. Just because I felt my experience with Hello Charlotte was a heartfelt conversation with the author doesn't mean that others feel that it might be a self-important lecture, or an ignorant invitation to some fairytale utopia that doesn't exist. Those are just as valid.

To me, Hello Charlotte was an honest, back and forth talk with etherane. It was a conversation about trauma, about the cyclical nature of stories, about beginnings and endings. Saying that a story is personal is a copout in my eyes - every story is personal to the author - but to Hello Charlotte, it felt less personal and more person. I felt like I met part of the author through this story, their faults, their strengths, their imperfections. Which isn't to say I feel like I met the individual, because that's silly - all I'm saying is that I feel like I was able to feel what they were feeling, or at least a part of what they were feeling at some point in their life, if at least for a brief moment.

Hello Charlotte is a work I can't really describe with words. All I can say is that, I've never experienced a work that feels this authorially oriented, rather than audience oriented, if that makes sense. It feels like truly delving into the mind of someone else, and connecting with that mind. Even if that's fake, even if that's silly, I think that's what this story is: a conversation, ending in connection. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Evangelion

I Miss Dark Souls (Or, My Thoughts on Elden Ring)